Wednesday, January 10, 2007

well, it's about time...

ok ok ok. i admit it. i have been keeping up with your lives secretly for the past several months (since lucky got pregnant to be exact) through a link she gave me. i have enjoyed reading your stories (especially about your children) and relating to how they coincide with zoe. i actually have mentioned a time or two that i would start a blog in the new year (as a resolution)... well- here i am...let the journey begin. i have been thinking of what to blog about first and then it hit me, as it does weekly when i am out and about in public with society's random idiots...

~she came from my uterus!~
some of you may know that my husband is not caucasian. he is philipino. 2 years ago, we hopped into bed and we FINALLY were given the miracle of a baby. after nine months of baking her in my caucasian belly, i birthed one of the most beautiful "wilipinos" ever seen this side of the mississippi. everyone oohed and ahhed and we brought her home. for the past year, i have been going out in public with her, as most parents do with their children, to buy groceries, neccesities, or just stroll at the mall. what i am about to tell you NEVER happens when my husband is with me... only when i am alone with zoe. it never fails that on a WEEKLY basis(i mark a calendar- not really) someone will inevitably stop me and ask, "where did you adopt her from?" or my favorite, "we're going to china next week to get ours too!" HELLO people- number one- she does NOT look chinese! number two- just because i don't sport an island tan in the winter, and she does, don't assume it isn't possible that i could have had her. now as a disclaimer- i am not against adoption AT ALL, i think it is great!... my husband was adopted- if he had not been, we would have never met and zoe would not be part of my life. anyways, i usually give the calm response to these lovely people that, "my husband is philipino." usually, they get the picture. one day, a lady replied to that with, "people of that race usually are pretty small huh." (zoe hasn't hit the chart yet in weight, and barely makes the height for her age) i had to ask her, "what race would that be?" and she replied, "you know, non american..." hello- my husband did pass his citizenship test and i am a born and raised memphian- how is my daughter "non-american"??? whatever lady, turn around and buy your ky jelly and oscar mayer weiners. well, one day, i had had enough of the "adoption" questions. i was buying fabric at the lace cottage and a lady asked me, "where did you get her?" i calmly turned around and responded, "from my uterus." she stood in shock for a moment, swallowed hard, bought her fabric and promptly left the store. i think that i should make t-shirts with that slogan and wear them around in public. some people just never know when to stop, smile, and just say, "aww, isn't she cute!" no questions asked!

7 comments:

Silly Hily said...

Welcome to the blog world my dear.
Some people are ignorant. They really are. I don't think they mean any harm but then again, that's what makes them ignorant.
A lot of people ask me how Silly Girl got such light hair (b/c my hubby is Italian and I myself, have dark hair). And what exactly are they implying by asking that? That I had "sexual realtions" with another man. How insulting!

Lizarita said...

"from my uterus"
That is freaking hilarious!!
People are nutso!
I love that you've been stalking us! Can't wait to read more!

Lucky Gem said...

YAY!!! You're here, you're really here! Okay, as for adding links and stuff to the sidebar, the new, not beta anymore version has made it easier. I'll have to look at the set-up and try to help, although this whole computer business is way over my head. Welcome!! I'm goint to add you now to mine.

What The Hell Is This? said...

I would have so paid money to hear that and see that woman face.. that ought to be your response every freakin' time!!!

Blue Angel said...

Glad to have you here! You put together a wonderful blog. I can't wait to read more. I'm glad to have you as a friend.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Love it! That's exactly what you should've said! I don't understand what goes through someone's mind that tells them it's ok to ask very personal questions to a complete stranger. My baby doesn't look like me, but damnit, she came outta ME!

It's Kimpossible! said...

I figured you are asked that question frequently and was curious at how you respond. The "from my uterus" is the best line ever. People can be very ignorant and thoughtless sometimes and you gotta set them straight.

I can't wait to read more about your adventures in Mommyland with Ms. Zoe. She's such a doll.